If you are experiencing facial pain, difficulty in chewing, or pain near jaw, you may be suffering from TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder). Dentist at New Age Dentistry is an expert in treating TMJ disorder using most advanced tools and techniques to achieve long-term relief.
Overview of TMJ
TMJ disorders are very common, affecting over million people in the Albuquerque, NM. TMJ disorder is a problem with your small joint located in front of ear that connects your lower jaw to your skull. These joints enable us to open and closure of the mouth, chew, yawn, speak and swallow. When the temporomandibular joints, jaw muscles and ligaments are prevented from working together properly, a painful TMJ disorder may occur.
At New Age Dentistry, our TMJ dentist Albuquerque can discuss the suitable treatment options. Our surgeons offer the full range of diagnostic services for TMJ disorders according to the condition of patients.
Causes of TMJ Pain
TMJ disorder can result from several reasons. They are
- TMJ is a load bearing joint, and this load is exerted when we chew.
- Teeth grinding or clenching, which puts a lot of pressure on the joint
- Movement of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket of the joint
- Arthritis in the joint
- Stress, which can cause you to tighten facial and jaw muscles or clench the teeth
Symptoms of TMJ Pain
- Pain and tenderness in or around your ears
- Teeth getting shorter
- History of multiple root canals
- Trouble in opening your mouth
- Jaw or neck pain
- Difficulty in chewing
- Ringing and popping sounds in the ear or the sense of fullness in the ear, etc./li>
How Do Our Health Care Professionals Diagnose TMJ Disorders?
An accurate diagnosis of TMJ is very important before starting a treatment plan. TMJ disorders are diagnosed by oral and maxillofacial specialists or dentist specializing in jaw disorder — experts in the field of the mouth, teeth and jaw.
Proper diagnosis begins with a detailed medical history and physical, including careful assessment of your teeth and function of your jaw joints and muscles. Imagining tests, such as X-rays of your teeth and jaw may be taken.
We have training and experience in the treatment of these problems with outstanding success rates. With highly advanced equipment and a high level of knowledge, we address your concerns and provide the best diagnosis for the optimal treatment.